Buildings In Downers Grove
Village's historic preservation program was revised in 2015, contributing to an increased interest in
landmarking homes and other structures. Since
then twenty-four buildings have been granted local landmark
Downers Grove – nine structures in
nine in 2017, four more in 2018 and two in 2019.
Village Council unanimously approved landmark status on April 16,
for the Village owned Main Street Cemetery, 5158 Main Street, following
a request by the Downers Grove Historical Society. Please click here to learn about this source of civic
pride and identity that was established in 1856.
unanimously approved landmark status on February
for the H. M. Patton House,
5 Jacqueline Drive at the
request of Judith M. Erickson. Please click here to learn about this English Country Revival home that was built circa 1927.
Village Council unanimously approved
status on August 21, 2018 for the Clifford
House, 844 Maple Avenue at
the request of Selma Moberg. Please click here to learn about this Gable-Front & Gable-Ell home that was built circa
status for the Ernest E. Bunge
Thornwood Drive on July 17 at
the request of
Jaunita and Pamala Shaw. Please click here to learn about this Craftsman
that was built circa 1927.
Council approved unanimously
status for the Engstrom House
at 1323 Maple Avenue on May 15,
2018 at the request of David
and Carol Miller. Please click here to learn about this Custom
home that was built circa 1924.
Landmark status was approved by unanimous
vote of the Village Council for the Gorman-Dum
House, 1205 Franklin Street on March 13, 2018 at the request of Kenneth and Kay Hammer.
Please click here to learn about this Queen Anne
home that was built circa 1895.
Council approved unanimously
status for the Cameron House,
4632 Main Street on December 12, 2017 at the request of Brian and Karen
Beechler. Please click here to learn about this Craftman
home that was built circa 1922.
Council unanimously approved landmark status for the Daily-Black House,
735 Maple Avenue on November 14th
at the request of Mrs. Nora Black. Please click here to learn about this Queen Anne style
home that was built in 1892.
The Village Council voted unanimously on June 13th
landmark status to The Frank Rodgers
House, 5325 Fairmount Avenue. Please
click here to learn about this bungalow home
that was constructed
in 1926 and is now owned by Lawrence and Gloria Gassen.
The Village Council unanimously approved landmark status for The McDougall
House, 4709 Linscott Avenue, on May 16th
this year. Please
click here to read the information provided by the current owner, Mary
Lou Lockerby, about the historic significance of her home, constructed
Council unanimously approved landmark status for two buildings on March
21st. Recognition of The Chilvers-Winter House, 4849 Middaugh Avenue, had been proposed by its owners Patrick &
Fairview Train Station, which is owned by the
Village, was also designated as a local historic landmark that evening.
The Village Council unanimously approved landmark status for The Pierce Downer
House on February 14, 2017. Please
click here to read the information provided by the current owners,
and Judith Frigo, about the historic significance of their home, which
dates from the 1840's.
November 15, 2016, the Village Council granted landmark status to two
other historic homes.
James and Maren Huber landmarked The J. J. Cole House, 710 Maple Avenue.
John and Patricia Orwin landmarked The Venard House, 4540 Highland Avenue, exemplifying
On August 16, 2016
the Village Council unanimously approved landmark status for two
historic homes. Fred and Cindy Zaeske have named their landmarked home
at 1130 Franklin Street, The Foote House.
Local architects Amy and Dave
Gassen discussed The
History & Significance of the
American Foursquare on September 26, 2016. Now you can
read Amy and Dave's article about our local American
Foursquare homes on page 2 of PDHA's
2016 Fall Newsletter.
Chris & Patricia Patterson named their home at 4502 Prince Street, The Kruger House.
June 14, 2016
the Village Council unanimously approved
landmark status for three
Bo and Christine
Martin have named their landmarked home
at 701 Maple Avenue, The Herring House.
Charlotte and Byron Holtzen named
their landmarked home at 5226
Carpenter Street, The Alexander &
Nancy Foster House.
"The Village takes seriously its
to historic preservation," Mayor Martin Tully stated before a
unanimous vote granting landmark status to the Village owned Main Street Train Station
5001 Main Street.
A resolution granting historic
landmark status for The Gjerde House, home of Irene
Hogstrom and Mark Bragen, at 1232 Gilbert Avenue was unanimously approved by
the Village Council May 17, 2016.
On February 17, 2016 the ADRB had recommended landmark status for the
92-year-old Ehr House, home of Amy and David Gassen. The Village Council considered Gassens' petition for landmark status on March 8th.
You can click
here to watch the discussion of this item, which started at 29
minutes into the meeting and continued for 24 minutes. The resolution granting historic landmark status for
the Gassen's home at 5320 Benton Avenue was unanimously
the Council's March 22nd
The house is a prime example of the American Foursquare
design, which style is well represented in Downers Grove. More photos of the
Gassen's home can be found here.
Several years earlier, in April 2009, Lea C. Wayne had
successfully achieved landmark status for his
home, The Bunge House, at 4943 Highland Avenue.
The Drew family
home at 5256 Carpenter Street was the first
building in Downers Grove to be granted landmark status In
October 2008 at the request
of Mildred Drew .
here for background information about updating
Historic Preservation and Zoning Ordinances.